Sunday 27 February 2011

DENMARK

The Danish Final was held on February 26th at the Ballerup Super Arena, Finding a winner was a complicated affair – with 3 rounds of voting! The top4 was selected by a on 50-50 Jury/SMS voting procedure. Round 2 had the songs competing in pairs, the winners of each pair selected by public vote then a final ‘superfinal’ with 2 songs competing, chosen only by public vote. The winning song was “New Tomorrow” performed by the band A Friend In London

This is a slow indie style rock song. The song sounds quite familiar and reminds me of lots of other songs, which I guess can only be a good thing. The verses are more chanted whilst the chorus is much slower and sung properly. The chorus is quite memorable and is singable. I am actually surprised as to how quickly I found myself humming and singing along to the tune as well and being able to hum it when the track was not playing.

The styling of this track is quite static. The four band members (drummer, 2 guitarists and a guitarist/singer) are quite static. Saying that, the song is not a real one four jumping up and down to or adding 2 extra dancers. Half way through the track giant balloons are released on top of the audience which really complements the black and white lighting effects - but would this really be a practical addition for Eurovision?

I think this is a very welcome diversion for Denmark and Eurovision and I really hope it does well. I don’t think it is a winner but I hope it does well in its semi-final.


SINGER – A Friend in London
SONG – New Tomorrow
MUSIC – Lise Cabble, Jakob Glæsner.
WORDS – Lise Cabble, Jakob Glæsner.


No comments:

Post a Comment