Monday 14 March 2011

BELARUS

A few weeks ago the dong “Born in Belorussia” was presented on TV. Soon after, the song was re-written to be more modern. It was then revealed that the son had been performed as early as April last year, and so the song was officially disqualified. In the meantime a new song has been recorded and a new film clip made. On March 14th, the last official day for entries, Anastasia Vinnikova’s new song “I Love Belarus” was previewed.

The song has a rock mix of traditional and modern instruments, and does sound very Eastern European. The song is quite formulaic and the chorus is quite simple. Anastasia’s voice does not co across very well and at times her voice seems garbled. This type of song is also not the type of song people vote for, especially if the title is “I love (insert country name here that is not your own!)”
I am still not 100% convince this girl will be able to put this off live, especially the middle parts which are quite strained, even with help from several backing singers. I thin she will be able to perform and emote to the audience and camera, but if the voice us bad, she will have no chance.

As far as the presentation in the video, I found that the mix between modern and folk in the music was not matched in the video. I also found the backing singers punching the air very predictable. I think the whole thing would have been much better if it was all one or the other. I think the more folk way of dressing up the song would be softer, as the more modern take, sounds and looks a bit too threatening. I will be very intersted how they decide to style this on the stage.

This is a shame as I don't think this is anywhere as immediate a song as "Iam Belarussian" and not as catchy. I think the song title may well put people off voting for it.


SINGER – Anastasia Vinnikova
SONG – I Love Belarus
MUSIC – Evgeny Oleynik
WORDS – Evgeny Oleynik, Svetlana Geraskova


No comments:

Post a Comment