Thursday 2 February 2017

EUROVISION YOU DECIDE

Whatta looooooooooong weekend!!!
To go through every detail of my journey would probably be a bit TMI but I will try and keep it brief-ish and keep to the main points. I left work, as I normally do, at 12.15 but that is where the normality of my Friday ended. Instead of collecting baby from the childminder, I waited by the car for my husband – he was picking Marcus up instead and needed the car seat from me. I then went to the bus stop and caught a bus into Bath. After a small walk around town and a bit of food I got the quite-packed train to Paddington. The very British way of people shuffling about in seats because people were sitting in other’s reservations is always a bit of a laugh. Right on time I arrived in the big smoke and made my way towards the tube. Now I made a bit of a mess of this as I started following the signage for ONE tube line then decided to follow the signs for a different one. This then meant that I ended up doing a full loop of the place without seeing a train… Once I worked out what I had done I found the Hammersmith and City line tube and made my way.

Then I had a short walk to the hotel. The hotel was just fine, I am sure I could have found many a fault with it but I am just not a fussy person! I always get a bit nervous when it comes to checking into places like this as I always fear I will have got something wrong or be turned away (although such a thing has NEVER happened!) The room was small but practical enough for a person by themselves staying for a night. Got in the door and started stuffing the pockets of my rucksack full of all the free stuff XD After a brief rest and a costume change I ventured out into Hammersmith.

Then I met up with some of my friends, almost all I had actually never met in person before but only contacted them through online platforms. As the evening progressed I met lets of different people whose pictures and profiles I’ve seen online. Although I might not have been introduced explicitly to loads of people it was really nice seeing faces I recognised (the probability of people recognising me was probably very low!!) Although I was meeting people for the same time I felt like I knew so many of them so well. I had been told that ESC events were really great things ad that the fans are really nice people – and now I can actually say this is true.

On a slight tangent I’d really like to talk about the Hammersmith Apollo itself. First of all is a beautiful grand building inside and out although there is one slight problem about the outside  - THE GREAT BIG FLYOVER STUCK RIGH IN FRONT OF IT!!!!! I loved all the Art Deco features and although the inside looked lime green from the inside it was more of a mint/apple green which was much more tasteful. There were some lovely light features in the auditorium which were also highlighted during the show.

So let’s get on with the actual night.
When we got there Scott Mills was doing a Q&A session with Jon Ola Sand (the man in charge of the European Broadcasting Union), Alexander Rybak (winner for Norway in 2009) and Nikki (half of the Azeri winning act in 2011) Now I could have stayed and watched but I needed the loo… However I did take a few piccies.
(PLEASE NOTE – this was the camera on my new phone that I have only had for a couple of weeks and so they are not *brilliant* quality)

We then got into the auditorium and found a spot near the back which although far from the stage had a pretty decent view. The warm up guy was doing well trying to whip up a frenzy, however making everyone sing “One step out of time” *punch punch* is not exactly the best… That said, the introduction of Mel and the judges got the audience well fizzed up. Eurovision classics filled the air such as ”Save all your kisses for me” “Making your mind up” “Puppet on a String” and “Diva” (although disappointingly the English version – I can only sing it in the original Hebrew!) The show started promptly at 7.30pm although the intro had been pre-recorded a few minutes earlier. I felt that the show (at least in the hall) was well run and we thought through. It was nice seeing at the bits that you |don’t see when the camera if focused somewhere else.

The show then started with a bang with this guy....


Oh my word he was good! Part of me was really honoured to see him perform in the flesh and you can really tell thathe is a quality performer. It would be a real shame if we never saw him again either as a singer and/or songwriter in Eurovision again.That will be a performance I will hold i my hert for a verylong time. After all the introductions were done and dusted it was finally time to get on with the show!

Another slight tangent here – after I had heard the songs on Radio 2 I has the overall feeling that 1) these were not bad songs but 2) they sounded very over-produced and flat. This lead me to hoping that seeing them in the flesh would sway me one way or the other.
As it turned out – this was the case… but not always in the ways I had expected

1)      I wish I loved you more – this visually looked stunning in the hall wth the black and gold background. I also liked the choreography of the backing singers. However Holly absolutely smashed it vocally in the hall.
2)      Light up the world – He sounded very weak at the start and didnlt get better. Danyl did the Basim poopy step dance which is never a good look. A good group effort in the flesh but a bit cheesy for me and ESC.
3)      I will never give up on you – this looked very odd on a big stage with her being alone on stage and little movement but was atmospheric and you could hear a pin drop. She also filled the place with her voice.
4)      Freedom Hearts – the place literally buzzed as the bass thundered through you. She looked a bit awkward choreographcally and was dressed like a slutty Selma. The flag waving at the end started far too late.
5)      What are we made of – felt like a bit of a come down after the previous songs. Looked and felt very empty and although his voice was strong. Although I liked the song beforehand the 1st verse went on far too long.
6)      I don’t wanna fight – this was very much the crowd fave and got cheers throughout. She looked a bit messy and the Frank Spencer backing didn’t help. I couldn't tell you how good she was at the time due to all the shouting!

In fact, the show flowed really well until the interval acts started. The Vamps were pretty good although I am guessing I was not the only one in the audience wondering what the hell they were doing there. I really enjoyed the reprise of “Love, Love Peace, Peace” which they showed on the big screen although this was possibly down to the fact the crowd in the hall went absolutely bonkers. How I wished they had shown the replay from the theatre’s point of view. It felt so alive! Possibly the nearest I will ever get to seeing Mans and/or Petra on a Eurovision stage.






The actual result was so very stressful – the pause before the announcement seemed to go on forever! For me the right person and right song won. It was my fave beforehand so was really pleased to see it get through. Needless to say I was a little bit shocked. Firstly because the crowd reaction made me thing that Salena was going to win but secondly (and I don’t know if you could pick up this from home) but once the result was announced people started booing. Now, don’t get me wrong – I’m one who like a good boo, and I would even encourage ’political booing’. Hhowever there was nothing that this girl had done or said to give cause for others to boo. BOO TO YOU :P


After the show was done, we went to the Hop Poles pub where the room upstairs had been reserved as an ESC after party venue. Ohhhhhhhh it was sooooooo good. It was like a dream. I was singing and dancing along with my faves (and even some of my non-faves) and it was really great being in the presence of people who felt the same way as me. I often think about doing things like karaoke but most of the songs I would want tossing would be ‘obscure Eurovision songs’ and they’d never be on the list. In that moment I was belting my heart out to so many choooons…. It was a bit like a primal scream but in friendlier song form…. But it had been a long day having been up since just before 6am and I got pretty knackered fairly quickly and finally got back to my hotel around 11pm.

After a quick shower, a bit of fried food, a few nice drinks and Channel 4 +1 I finally got to bed…. Not that I slept well. Not so much because the bed was awful, more that fcat that my head was buzzing and I was very aware that I was in a different room PLUS my feet were throbbing XD I ended up getting up about 6.30am and watching Cbeebies. Baby or no baby, old habits die hard! I then got changed and went to breakfast around 8am. Although the food was nothing special I was kept entertained by the TV showing news on BBC One. The ‘tough talking’ of Trump and his cronies, especially regarding the travel bans seemed s at odds with the environment I was in. Most of the staff were Eastern European or of sub-continental background, a few of the guests had Australian accents and the shops up and down the street reflected a wide range of countries and cultures. If there was ever a moment when one could fully understand that that man was talking complete bollocks – this was it.

After breakfast, I decided to leave my stuff at the hotel and have a walk up and down the main street. Everything was still closed, apart from a few food/eatery places, the traffic was very light and not many people about. I took my camera with me and took some pics of the local place names, sights and signs. It was nice to get out in London whilst not so busy, it can be quite a stifling place when it is in full gear.





My plan from here on in was a little sketchy – all I knew was that I had to be in Paddington by just before 2pm. I checked out of the hotel at 10am and walked down towards the Apollo by this time most of the shops were now opened. I went to the German ‘Bäkehaus” and go the husband a back of pretzels then popped into a number of charity shops where I found a small Miffy lunchbox that I could give to Marcus. After that I  then did small pilgrimage to site I has googled the previous evening. For those of you confused by the reference this the site of the bench used tin the opening credits of “Bottom”. The original bench was moved many years ago but after Rik Mayall’s death a replacement was produced and installed in his memory.




I then went to have a look around the small shopping centre next to the tram station. It was here I would see something that literally knocked me for six.



HEMA…IN THE UK...I WAS STANDING NEXT TO A...HEMA

To the general public going about their daily business, I probably looked like I was having some kid of mental break down or just been told some awful news, I stood outside the shop and literally cried in a mildly panicked fashion. I even phoned my husband in an effort to calm myself down – and discuss a shopping list XD I walked out with a huge bag of stuff. I could have spent 3,4,5 times as much but heaving it all around London AND get on the train AND the bus was never going to be a good move. After that I then got a bus northwards for another pilgrimage site… You either get it or you don’t…


I then got the bus to Paddington and got myself some take away fayre (as well as using their toilets!). As it was far too early to wait around in the station itself I walked up the road to Merchant Square and the Paddington Basin. I would imagine that on a weekday this place is filed with business types but at the weekend it seemed a world away from the inner city. It was also nice to see so many canal boats here. In fact although I knew this place existed I never knew the canal was here. I would imagine long walks up and down it are lovely in the summer.



And so the time came to board the train. Although all the seats had reservation tickets on it, barely any of them in our carriage were actually used. Once at Bath, I walked the few metres to the bus station, got the bus back to Peasedown where I had left the car and drove straight home.

And then I because plain old mummy again. Oh don't get me wong I missed my husband and my little boy greatly but I guess until you push yourself and test the boundaries one never knows how far you can go. I missed them, but I was so busy and in an odd kind of way it was nice to be Ann "The Eurovision Fan" rather than Ann - the woman what works at school or Ann - the mummy and wife. It just feltso free to be doing things that I genuinely love and for someone who feel like I have very few close friends I felt like I was surrounded by allies and fellow followers of the cause. I did make me feel a bit silly that I was nervous and apprehensive before hand.

I just want t say a BIG thank you to everybody I saw and met last weekend - you made that day so special to me. I am going to try to make sure that this is NOT my last Eurovision event although may be my only event of this year. If the BBC decide to have another UK national final I will try my hardest to be there and if Eurovision even winds its way to these shores I will try to make the leap.
It is a distant memory now.... but a very treasured one x


No comments:

Post a Comment