Saturday 10 February 2018

UNITED KINGDOM

The UK Final was held on February 7th at The Brighton Dome, hosted by Mel Giedroyc & Måns Zelmerlöw. The winner was chosen by an "expert" jury (50%) & televoting (50%).Going to Lisbon is SuRie with the song “Storm”

The staging of this song is decidedly static. I imagined her being much more mobile as to emphasise the slowing and quickening of the song’s beat. She is wearing a greeny/blue number with a hidden cape – again she could have shown of the latent potential of the cape during the song if she had moved around! The screen behind her is reminiscent of descending a tunnel changing colour as we get deeper inside. There are also some light up poles scattered around which really don’t serve a purpose unless you are in the arena itself or constantly watching it on a wide shot.

The song is a real rollercoaster for it starts off quietly with SuRie gently singing, almost whispering, the first lines, then the beat kicks in which initiates the crowd to start clapping along with it. A similar thing happens when the chorus goes up a gear. The best part of the song, in my opinion is the chanting and drum part around the 2:10 mark which doesn’t go on long enough for my ears then is followed by a quiet rendition of the chorus which totally loses the momentum built up to that point. I find the lyrics a little too saccharine and predictable at times.

Before the final, I had decided that I wouldn’t mind 4 of the 6 winning. This wasn’t one of them. I must admit taat she seems like a lovely person and someone who is going to be great fun in Lisbon – but I just wish that some of that personality came out during her performance. I think she is much much better than the song allows her to show. That said I admit that it has grown on me – but only a bit. The current visuals don’t match the flow of the song and I wish she would move around the stage. She stays very still for a girl talking about storms! I just find this a little too stereotypical and possibly a little dated. Compared to the other songs on offer this feels very non-descript and middle of the road - UK version on Nathan Trent perhaps…?
On the other hand in a year when some countries are being slightly more experimental and cultural in their entries, this might stand out as something accessible to all. I then start to wonder if this has a touch of the ‘Love shine a light’ about it – like Katrina’s song this is a metaphorical song about optimism. Oh God I really don't know.


ARTIST – SuRie
SONG – Storm
MUSIC - Nicole Blair, Gil Lewis, Sean Hargreaves
LYRICS - Nicole Blair, Gil Lewis, Sean Hargreaves


No comments:

Post a Comment