Wednesday 17 August 2011

Day 17 - your favourite French entry

2003 France : Louisa Baïleche - Monts et merveilles (The moon and the stars)

This category was actually pretty tough. I could have easily chosen “La Source”, “Black and white blues”, “L'amour à la française” or ”Divine” but I felt that this song need a bit of love.

The song is undeniably French, I mean in a rhythmical sense rather than linguistically, but not a typical French balladeer type number. Like many Eurovision songs that I like, I love the different tempos and rhythms of the song, especially the way the chorus seems like one long breathless line of words. I also like the “na-na-na” part in the middle which not only provides aural relief from the tune but also builds up more tension towards the very last chorus.

Also like many Eurovision sings I like, this was very much overlooked on the night, coming a disappointing 18/26. The staging of the song didn’t really work, particularly on such a large stage and could have done with less band and more movement.


No comments:

Post a Comment