Saturday 20 August 2011

Day 20 - your favourite non-qualifier from a semi-final

2004 Estonia : Neiokõsõ – Tii (Road)
2009 Latvia : Intars Busulis - Probka (Traffic Jam)
2010: Lithuania : InCulto – Eastern European Funk

Although I have an obvious soft-spot for the Belgians, I also have a soft spot for the Baltic countries and it just so happens that I have chosen three class songs from the 3 former Soviet states.

My chosen Estonian entry was one of those marmite tracks. Although the song was a really interesting one to listen to, the girls’ performance was not quite up to scratch on the night. In 2004 there was only 1 semi final and 10 places were up for grabs for the 22 competing nations. It finished in unlucky 11th, just one place away from being in the final

Probka was my guilty pleasure of 2009. I am a sucker for weirdly timed songs (this mainly being in 7/8) It was a bit retro, a bit anarchic, a bit weird. The performance on the night was just a little too introverted and small for the stage, plus the two girls were a little too animated for the song. It came last in semi final 2

I have to say I was one very upset lady when Inculto failed to get out of semi final 2. They opened the show, which can be a good thing especially when you are such an energetic band with a stomping song, but somehow in the ether of Euroland it got forgotten about coming in a far off 12th. If just the televoters had go their way, it would have come in 8th *shakes fist*








No comments:

Post a Comment